The English Club on Twitter

Monday, May 16, 2011

Friends....


Sunday night at 1am when I was sitting on my bed to write an article on “friendship”, I had no wonderful idea to be translated into an article. No memories galore to be sung. All I had was a 300 word limit and a deadline to keep. Just then a friend of mine, let’s call her Ms “X” (for the sake of privacy and confidence) , set my phone ringing. A call this late in the night meant only one thing that I was going to face a damsel in distress who just needs “someone to support her” through the difficult period which most probably would be a hostel mate not offering her maggi. I knew that the next 2 hours of my life would be spend listening to the agonizing details of how much attitude some unknown person has. I ignored the call. The next few minute I worried about the gods of loyalty questioning me and burning me in purgatory. So I returned Ms X’s call. Of course I was right about all my premonitions but it might still be worth it because not only was I being a good friend but I also got a seed idea for my article.

A train of thoughts whistled its way through my already tired brain. I found myself recollecting a long forgotten SMS which said “girls often start talking where a boy ends his conversation”. Scientific studies show that women tend to discuss everything possible whereas a guy has lesser no of close friends (read BFFs followed by those little irritating heart symbols) and fewer “let’s talk” sessions. A problem at hand in a man’s life is often solved by a few thumps on the back and “chal re Apache” attitude. In case of a disagreement where a woman takes the “fight” route, a man generally takes the “flight” route. Anyone who has seen a guy return to bed at 4am after talking to his girl friend, looking like he has undergone the holocaust all over again, will agree with me on this 1.

Ms X is still talking. But I am getting messages in the background from Mr. “Y” whose dog killed a pigeon on the new carpet and how proud he is of the feat… no comments!! Back to my thoughts, there is of course no saying on the comparative depth of friendship among the two genders but a few disparities scream out loud. They exist since the beginning of time. For example, the categories of friends. While a guy tends to categorize his friends into categories like class, tuition, pool, flat or bike etc, a girl has good or best friends. A very elaborate procedure of testing and scrutiny is followed before induction into her friends group. That is just the way it is..

By now I am almost nearing the end of my friend’s call. A few last minute sympathy sentences need to be dispatched. “Of course you are right. Oh god, you do put up with a lot. I am glad you spoke to me.” And closure…!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment